baby development

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

MORE teething, company, baby shower...

TEETHING

Yikes. Someone really should have warned me about teething, and that it is pretty continuous from about 6-12 months of age.

Cookie now has her bottom 2 teeth fully in and her two top teeth about 3/4 of the way in.

For the past several nights, she's been waking up crying every 2-3 hours. Before, she was only waking up once for a diaper change and a snack (hey, even I wake up sometimes and have to pee and go downstairs for some chocolate milk, so this I understand). But lately she's been waking up and crying like something's wrong. I strongly suspect she's about to cut some more teeth. At 9 1/2 months, she's just about on schedule.

There's no difference in what she puts in her mouth because freakin' EVERYTHING goes in her mouth. She loves our keys, our shoes, the mail, the strap of my purse, Michael's wallet - everything she can find.

COMPANY

We're getting company this weekend - Michael's good friend from graduate school and his wife. They'll be here from Friday night to Sunday evening, and we're going over to catch the Bruce Hornsy concert in Louisville. Michael's a big Bruce fan, and this will be my 3rd Bruce concert with him (I think he qualifies as a "groupie"). Anyway, I'm afraid the only impression I ever gave Michael's friend was a very bad one. The only time I met him I was sulking, and Michael and I were fighting (as was customary during that pre-marriage time period). I am sure he thought I was a bee-atch. Heck, in retrospect, I think I was a bee-atch. I'm hoping this weekend I'll have a chance to resemble a reasonable human being and make a better impression.

BABY SHOWER

Well, our Sunday school class leaders said they are tired of waiting and want to have a baby shower now – and then an adoption party later. So, they TOLD us (after we had been out of church for weeks being sick) that the party is October 21st after church. They are having a cookout at their place and inviting lots of people from church and asked me to get them addresses of folks from work that we want there too.

When I stressed an “adoption party” and baby dedication/baptism (yeah, they do that in our church – the water-sprinkling thing) – they all said they wanted to do that too once the adoption is finalized.

So, I was looking at christening gowns at Burlington – they have a pretty assortment there, and was sad because they only went up to 6 months of age. I guess they assume babies get baptized or dedicated by then. Hmm. This is discriminatory. Lemme know if you ever see any for a 1 yr. old. She might just have to have a pretty white dress instead. I bet they sell them for tiny little flower girls or something. I may have to look into that.

So, this is very nice of folks at church. I just think they didn’t want us to be left out – there have been a ton of baby showers take place since Cookie came to live with us, so I know it’s been a long time in coming and they’ve been asking about doing it for a long time.

That's about all the updates I have for now. I'm recovering from being ill, my house is fairly clean, and everything seems to be falling nicely into place without my overt attempts to control the universe.

Oh, and Cookie got a new "big girl" car seat. She is actually heavy enough and long enough to face forward now, so she got a new fabulous Eddie Bauer car seat (because she IS a fashionista - and because Big Lots freakin' ROCKS). She loves her new view of the world - no more watching the world go by backwards. This is a big deal for her (and us, a little).