baby development

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

I'm Absolutely Sick Of...

...people saying/writing that the "foster care system is broken" and not actively trying to make it better.

So, to put my money where my mouth is, I am becoming a trainer.

Yes, you read correctly.

Next year, I will be teaching a class for credit for training foster parents.

I will be teaching it on Newborn & Toddler Issues (all the things I wish someone had told me!).

I am extremely honored.

I designed a set of sample classes and submitted them, and was asked when I wanted to start, and to choose the topics I wanted to cover - just like that. (My MA and doctoral work is in Family Communication, in case you wanted my credentials above-and-beyond the "practical").

Now, 2 things I want from my readers:
1) feedback - what kind of training do you wish you had received (as a parent or a foster parent)? (this is a "hindsight" question)
2) tell me - what have you been complaining about that you can start to actively do something to make it better? (ooooh, Tamara asks the tough question...)