baby development

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Celebrating 5 Hours

Five blissful hours of uninterrupted sleep
In my own bed
Air conditioner on full-blast
Freshly cleaned house
Full tummy
Cookie fast asleep IN HER CRIB - IN THE NURSERY
From 10pm-3am

Dear sweet Jesus, THANK YOU!

The housekeeper came late yesterday, so Michael met me at Chili's with Cookie at 6:30. I feasted on fajitas while Cookie polished off a jar of turkey and sweet potatoes before playing with/eating some shredded cheese from my plate. Cookie tried playing with the thick paper coasters that they use underneath your drinks, but with her bottom teeth coming in so well, she managed to bite the entire corner off of one - and I never did find it. I think it may be in her tummy. Guess we might soon find it in her diaper!

After we got home, I bathed the Cookie, and Michael fed her while she was still wrapped in just a big fluffy towel. He then took her upstairs and put her in her pink jammies with feet. After I cleaned up, I found the two of them on the floor of the livingroom pretend wrestling. Michael will lay on the floor and put the baby on top of him in various "holds" and act very dramatic in wrestling fashion and announce her the winner of the match. This time she was sitting on top of him and giggling, and she looked like a big pink cotton candy. (secretly, I feared when the crying would start...)

She crawled after the cat for a good amount of time, and played on her toy piano with much gusto. After quite some time, she began to get sleepy so I fed her the last bottle of the night and she fell asleep right at 9:00. Since she was alreayd asleep on top of me, we sat up and watched "Last Comic Standing", and then at 10:00 I took her upstairs and laid her in the crib. Wonder of wonders - she did not wake up. I kept my hand on her back until she found her favorite sleep position, and then I walked out. The peace was unreal. No screaming or crying - just silence.

I changed into my pyjamas and hopped into bed and Michael followed. He cuddled up close to me, and didn't "make a move", so I opted not to either. The bed felt so cool and crisp. I don't think I moved until 3:00 when I went into a coughing fit (damn sinuses/allergies!) which I am pretty sure woke up the baby in her room across the hallway. Interestingly enough, as I woke up coughing and looked at the clock, I was terrified. Holy cow! Is the baby okay? Is she breathing? Did Michael get up with her? How long did I sleep?

The sudden crying after my coughing fit told me she was fine, but I opted to go in and check on her anyway. As soon as she saw me, she sat up in the crib and reached for me. Well, I did what I felt like doing and scooped her up and took her to our bedroom to offer her a bottle which she sucked down pretty quickly and fell back asleep almost immediately. Not wanting to risk the peace, I laid her down between Michael and I and went right back to sleep until the alarm went off 3 hours later.

For the first time in a long time, I wasn't waking up miffed. I was relieved. It is a small step, but it is a meaningful one.