baby development

Monday, July 24, 2006

So THAT'S What "Cutting a Tooth" Means

You know how you think you've experienced something, and yet once you experience the real thing you decide you had actually NEVER experienced it at all?

For example, I thought I had seen snow when I lived in Memphis, TN. THEN I moved to Denver, CO. Nope, I had never actually seen snow.

I had thought I had made love before. THEN I met my husband. Nope, I had never actually made love before.

Well, there have been times when I thought Cookie was teething. THEN the weekend came. Nope, I had never actually seen teething.

Sweet mercy, we have a tooth poking through. Two teeny sharp points are sticking up through her bottom gum-line, and it looks like it is cut.

Oh, did I mention she is MAD? Did I mention the tears? Did I mention the irritability? Did I mention I have not really slept in two nights?

Did I mention she is MAD? :)

I am learning, Dear Lord, I am learning. Give me the strength to survive Cookie's teeth coming in. THIS is a challenge. THIS is what being a parent is. NOBODY can prepare you for this.

I did find something that worked a bit:

On the way home from an arena football game we stopped at Dairy Queen and I got a vanilla ice cream cone - plain old vanilla. Cookie was crying, as the game no longer served to distract her AND she was in her car seat AND she hurt - the hat trick of baby pain. So I offered her my ice cream cone. Rosebud lips surrounded as much ice cream as possible and my baby girl had white ice cream moustache and goatee, but she was happy. The cool sweet creamy goodness was too much - she begged for more and more. Dairy Queen is the best medicine. I knew it all along, I really did. I've known it for years, really.