baby development

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Best Weekend Ever

This weekend we used respite care for the first time, and took off for a romantic weekend in Atlanta.

Since I am a pimp-ette, I managed to get us a suite on Priceline for $55 a night. The suite was remodeled, with a king bed with all down bedding and a big TV in the wall (bedroom sectioned off with pretty double french doors), a stand-up marble shower separate from the tub area, and a big livingroom with a flat screen TV, sofa, desk, hs internet, and ergonomic office chair, bar area with sink, fridge, microwave - just lovely all around. We put the room to good use, and discovered that we are still quite fond of each other. Blushy

We had Chinese takeout in the room on the first night, and lunch at the Cheesecake factory the next day.

Sunday night was a Jamie Cullum concert in beautiful Chastain Park Ampitheatre. If you like jazz/funk and great piano, or Harry Conick, Jr. - check out Jamie Cullum. Start with Twentysomething before you buy the latest Catching Tales. He's absolutely phenomenal. Sexy - voice, instrumentals, and all.

Post-concert we watched TV in our sumptuous hotel room and snacked on popcorn and other assorted junk food before crashing for the night.

Before bed, Michael told me that he had been trying not to say something all weekend, but that he missed his Boo (his nickname for Cookie). I said I had missed her too. We loved getting re-acquainted with each other on a grown-up and intimate level, but we really did want to get back home and cuddle in bed with our baby girl.

It was a fabulous weekend. I am ever so glad we took it. I had several moments during this past weekend that confirmed to me that Michael and I would be together for a very long time. You might ask, "Didn't you know that when you got married?" Sadly, I wasn't so sure. He wasn't either. His fear and my insecurities were enough to destroy even the best intentions. It's funny - we've both gained a lot of weight in these past 2 years, and we are more tired and look more than two years older, but we find each other incredibly sexy - alluring even. And we enjoyed conversation about everything under the sun - except the baby and foster care and adoption. We talked about politics, the illegal immigration problem, jobs and careers, what we wanted to do with parts of the house, future trips we might take, and things we'd like to do in the future. We did not argue or fight, and neither of us sulked. It was wonderful.

Cookie did well without us - and her respite care foster-mom said she even slept through the night (WT...??). Cookie was thrilled to see us yesterday when we walked into her daycare room to pick her up. We got big huge grins and baby-hugs, and gave her lots of kisses.

We presented her with the gifts we bought her at the ESPN zone - two outfits - one says "I watch ESPN with my daddy" and the other one is pink and says "You can't spell Princess without ESPN". I love them! This morning she wore the first one to daycare, and looked so cute - though it i sized at 12 months, it was only a tiny bit loose on her.

As for accomplishments - Cookie crawled for the first time yesterday on all hands and knees. She is so excited to be so mobile, but it frustrates her that we take away so many objects that she grabs and tries to put in her mouth. I swear, her first word is probably going to be "Nasty" because that's what I say when I pull something away or out of her mouth - "No, no sweetie, that's nasty. Eeeeew, nasty. We don't eat shoes...nasty."

So, I'm back at work today, looking at mounds of paperwork, and blogging. What else do you expect me to do?