baby development

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Lifebook Entry: Cookie's Favorite Things

This Little Piggy:
I play this game with her most every day, and from the first time, she loved it. As I start with "This little piggie went to market", I take her pinky toe between my thumb and forefinger, and she looks at it, and then up at me and smiles. With the second piggie staying home, she does the same. Then magic happens. For some reason, when I get to "This little piggie had roast beef", I put lots of happy empahsis on the words roast beef, like that is the most marvelous thing ever. I mean, who isn't excited about roast beef? Well, it is on the words "roast beef" that she looks up at me and starts grinning and then laughing. Maybe it's my inflection, or maybe roast beef is just plain funny. Either way, it's fascinating to watch her anticipate what's about to happen with the piggies.

You Are My Sunshine:
Apparently this song is aural Nytol for Cookie. If she's slightly fussy, or trying desperately to find her "sweet spot" in the bed, one or two rounds of the song "You Are My Sunshine" and her head hits the bed or my shoulder and she is out like a light. Plus, the end of the song has always been bitter-sweet for me: "please don't take my sunshine away".

Bathtub Duckies:
I had a set of rubber duckies that my mom had bought for me (yes, as an adult). It is a big momma/daddy duck (I cannot tell duck-gender) and 3 little baby duckies. Cookie loves having these in the tub and I take them and make them slide down the incline on her baby tub now that she sits in the "big kid" side sitting up and the incline is in front of her. The other night, she was able to get one baby duck head into her mouth and one in each fist while splashing the water. What a sight she was. I think she was just thrilled that she was able to hold all three at once.

Puffy:
Puffy is either a stuffed dinosaur or a dragon - we can't really tell. But he is cute and very soft and cuddly - a Baby Gund I think. He is also multi-colored, and apparently rather tasty. I named him Puffy because of Puff the Magic Dragon - then it was Puff Diddy, and then just Puffy. Cookie loves Puffy - it was her first stuffed animal - given to us by Julie at church one Sunday. To this day, Puffy is quite comforting. Cookie likes to chew on his snout.

Daddy's Laptop:
Nope, this isn't the name of a new kids's toy, but I swear if I had the know-how, I'd design and market one and make a killing. See, whenever Michael has his laptop on in bed, Cookie has to be right there. She will crawl over anything in order to get right under Michael's arm so she can "rake" at the keys on the keyboard and put her hands on the screen. If he tries to stop her, she whines - loudly. I had tried to distract her with toys, books, or anything else I can think of - but all she wants is to play with the laptop. She has good taste - it is a large screen Dell, after all.

Pizza Crust:
I'm not going to win "Mommy of the Year" with this admission. I'm bound to get emails warning me about nutrition as well as choking hazzards. But I promise, I'm in control here people. See, we like pizza from a place in town called "Brooklyn Pizza. It is darn good thin crust. The first time we had it since having Cookie here, she grabbed it out of my hand and crammed it into her mouth. Despite having marinara in her mouth, she thought it was rather tasty. Now, when we have it, she looks forward to getting the crust to chew on like a biter (teething) biscuit. Cookie has no teeth, but the girl sure can make short work of a pizza crust. The other night I gave her a pretty long piece of crust, and she chewed and chewed and sucked on it until it was good and soggy, and while she was sitting on my lap she managed to polish off half of that piece of crust. Apparently, we have a young Brooklyn Pizza fan on our hands.

More to come...