baby development

Monday, October 31, 2005

Packing Up

I couldn't bring myself to pack up Howard and Autumn's clothes yet. Most are washed and folded on top of the dryer. Though Autumn was sleeping peacefully this morning when it was time for me to leave for work, I scooped her up to change her diaper. I wanted to see her stretch her arms above her head and giggle like she had learned how to do this week. I wanted to rub her tiny belly and watch her kick her chubby legs as I put on a fresh diaper. I dressed her in one of her new pink and green outfits and left her lying fresh on her play mat for Michael to take her to daycare.

When I left, Howard was munching on a pop tart and watching a DVD of School House Rock - Multiplication Rock. Though he won't be multiplying any time soon, he still needs lots of work on number recognition, and that seemed to fascinate him. He was wearing his Spiderman costume with a pair of pants and a jacket over top of the whole thing. With a high of 63 today, I couldn't just let him wear that silky little costume to school with nothing else. Today is his Harvest Party at school. I certainly hope he has a good time.

Last night was the Harvest Party at our church, and we dressed up the kids in their costumes (Autumn was a pumpkin) and ate hot dogs and chili in the church. Then in the lower parking lot, the Howard got to go from car to car "trunk or treating". Folks had decorated their trunks with all kinds of neat stuff and carved pumpkins. Howard was pretty scared and Michael ended up carrying him most of the night.

What scared Howard the most was this: the Chick Fil' A Cow. Yes, a cow. Our Sunday School teacher is a regional manager for Chick Fil' A, and he even has one of the big trucks painted like a cow with a horn that moos. And he has a cow costume from the store that his teenage son wore to the party. Well, Howard was so freaked out by the cow that he almost cried until Michael held him. We tried to tell him it was just Peter in the costume, but he didn't care. Michael and I interacted with the cow - even high-fiving the cow. Still, Howard was scared out of his mind. Other than that, the evening went pretty good. When we got home, we let him eat 3 pieces of his candy before bed. He didn't even argue. Then he wanted a bowl of spagetti, which he ate up like he hadn't eaten in days. Because he finished it, I rewarded him with a small bowl of his now-favorite cookies and cream ice cream. Surprisingly, he slept like a log last night.

It was a good week. The house is a wreck. I even think it smells in there. But we learned lot. And there are two more kids on the face of the earth who feel like someone cares about them. That is particularly cool.

Tonight Michael and I are going to go to dinner and a movie out, then come home and, well...let's just say we have some things to "catch up on".