baby development

Friday, October 21, 2005

3 Kittens and 3 Kids This Weekend

Not long after I had brought the 3 fuzz-balls home and put them safely in the nursery, my cell phone rang. It was Workingmom - foster mom to the 21-month old twin boys Bo and Luke and 7-month old little girl I call Kewpie Doll. Workingmom was about at the end of her rope. She said she still can't get the kids to sleep more than a couple of hours at a time, and that after about 3 or 4 am they will not return to sleep. They stand and scream and cry beside her bed until she gets up. She asked if we would be willing to do respite care for her so that she can get some sleep.

Okay, I know we said "no more doing respite care", but it's not like we haven't had these kids before. In some ways we already know their personalities and likes and dislikes and what works with them. It's tiring for the two of us, but Michael and I make a great team. Besides, the money we earn for doing respite care will go right into our new baby bank account.

I'm not sure what Workingmom has gotten herself into. I know that sibling groups can be tough, especially as a single mom. I just hope that if it's not going to work out for her that she decides that soon so the kids can go live with a family that can handle all three of them and do it well. I know she trying and that she cares for the kids, but I could hear it in her voice that she's just exhausted. Who wouldn't be?

So, the 3 kids will be with us during the day on Sat. and Sun. so Workingmom can get some rest. We will not do overnight because if they are not sleeping in their beds at her house where they have been living for more than a month, then they surely wouldn't sleep through the night at our place. I had to draw the line somewhere. I don't think I'm ready to loose sleep for a child that isn't my placement.

Saturday morning our church youth group is having a huge yard sale to help with their upcoming missions trips. I think I'll take the kids there because the church has a huge yard and softball field where they can run and jump and play. And everyone will want to hold Kewpie. In the afternoon after their naps I think I will take them to pick out a pumpkin for Halloween. I wasn't going to do that, but since they will be with us, I figure it is worth it. We will probably take a drive out in the country to local farms that sell pumpkins and let you buy apples you pick right off the trees. Some even have hayrides for the kids. Oh, and fresh apple cider is a real treat this time of year.

Sunday it will be back to church, then home for long naps and some food, and then Working mom will pick them up again - hopefully well rested.

In-between times, we will have lots of kitten therapy. Here are the best pictures I could take with them moving around so fast. Kittens do not sit still. I do not know how people do photography for cat calendars - they must be drugged! Anyway - here's the 3 fuzzballs:


Super Kitten to the rescue!




Tearing the feather stick to shreds






Checking out the bouncy-seat - it must be some new fancy cat-toy

Attacking the lamp cord: (it had it coming)

Checking out the Diaper Genie - what the heck is this?