baby development

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Too Smart For Her Own Good (Or Mine)

Monday night Michael had a softball game - at 9:30. I decided to stay home and put Cookie to bed and crash early myself. Cookie had other plans.

After reading as much information as I could on getting babies to sleep and getting them to sleep through the night, I had decided it was best to put Cookie to bed drowsy rather than fast asleep. That way, she would learn how to find her "sweet spot", get comfortable, and fall asleep on her own. It works about half of the time. The other half of the time one of us ends up picking her up after a spell and rocking her to sleep. That works another 45% of the time. Then there is the other 5%. Monday night was going to be one of those nights.

I placed Cookie in the bed on her back and turned on her mobile. She seemed content to watch the bears spin around, but she started to fuss after only a few seconds. I didn't pick her up. I laid down on the bed and turned the TV on with the volume down so I could barely hear it (she is used to falling asleep with the TV on). I started to watch Supernanny try to teach a breathing technique to a 5-yr. old child who probably needed more psychological intervention than she could offer. Cookie began to whine louder and holler. I picked her up, rubbed her back until she calmed down, and put her back down. The next time she started to holler, I rubbed her back and head until she calmed down. I did not feed her (per the advice of our pediatrician). I continued to do this as the Supernanny show continued to disturb me even more.

Finally, I sensed quiet from the crib and turned my head in that direction. What I saw next almost made me pee the bed:

Cookie was on her tummy and with her chubby little left hand had pulled the crib bumper down so she could look out. She was holding herself up with her other arm and all I could see was from her nose up - and she was staring at me wide-eyed. I started to laugh out loud, and she kept looking and me and started to whine again. Translation: "Hey lady, what does it take to get noticed around here? I've been whining my butt off and all you can do is sit there and watch some dumb show about how to take care of bad kids. Helllloooooo. I'm heeeeeere."

I picked her up. I cuddled her for a good long time, and then I put her back to bed and she finally fell asleep. Score: Cookie - 1. Mom - 0. But I did get a good laugh out of it, and a mild headache.

We're in for it folks - this is one smart Cookie.

P.S. - From the pediatrician visit on Friday: Cookie is 14 lbs., 12.6 ounces. She is 2 feet, 1 inch tall and in the 75th percentile. Michael is hoping she will be a power forward and play for Stanford. Watch her want to take ballet instead.