baby development

Monday, September 19, 2005

Michael Meets The Schwab

Tomorrow my darling husband will hop a plane to New York where he will take a cab to a decent hotel and cram. Wednesday he will take a cab to ESPN studios where he will meet Stewart Scott and Howie Schwab (aka The Schwab - as in Stump the Schwab). He will play against two other champion wanna-bes in an attempt to get to go head-to-head with The Schwab in a game of extreme sports knowledge. No, this is not just for "big sports fans" - that would be like simplifying Jeopardy down to the basic description of "a game show for smart people". Stump the Schwab is for sports fanatics. It is for people who listen to sports talk radio with headphones while sleeping, listen to games on the car radio, read about sports online, know every sports statistic ever released, live, eat, and breathe sports, and watch basketball in the hot tub on their honeymoon. Oh, right - my husband does/did all that and more. This show is for him.

If he can get past the two other contestants, he'll win $1,000. If he beats The Schwab, he wins $5,000 and a chance to come back for the end-of-season tournament for a chance at $30,000. He wants a big screen TV, and a hot tub. I would like for him to have whatever he wants. But mainly, I want him to have a blast - no matter what. I've done really well to not even think about it in terms of money. We have plenty of money to get by. But what we don't often have is guts...cahones...the ability to take little risks and go for a dream. And we don't have nearly enough fun.

I don't know if Michael will tell me the outcome, or if he will just let me watch the show when it airs with the rest of our friends and family. I'll keep my faithful readers updated - and, of course, I'll let everyone know when it's going to air.

P.S. - he also got invited to a Jeopardy audition...but it's in Tampa, FL. He may just go there too. He's been trying for a year to audition for them. We shall see.