baby development

Monday, August 08, 2005

Attack of the Sorority Babes

Subway called my name today for lunch. It was a quick drive from work, but far enough away for me to feel like I had actually left the office.

As I entered, I saw that the line was unusually long...and thin...and blonde...and looked to be about 20 years old. Several of those in line were clad in t-shirts big enough to fit a hampster, with assorted Greek letters. Many of them had on low-rise sweat pants with words across their butts - the most common work was "PINK" (Victoria's Secret, maybe?). There were enough naked bellies in line to form a good Hawaiian dance troupe. Most all of them had blonde hair worn up in a haphazard ponytail. Half of them gabbed on cell phones, and ordered sandwiches over the counter while still remaining on the phone. The other half noisily gabbed about the most popular subject of all - other girls. Several asked each other what they should order - as if seeming to have no opinions of their own. They talked in a whiney and shreechy voice - and up-talked by ending every sentence with a strong, pronounced, rising, questioning inflection:
"I want cucumber (?) and tomato (?) and a large Diet (?)".

I happily ordered my BMT while they ordered things like chicken wraps with cucumber. I grabbed a bag of Fritos and a Mountain Dew Code Red (crack for carb addicts) and happily munched away while observing the foreign sub-culture. I felt very 34, and very plus-size, and very content. I sighed a contented sigh knowing I had never been one of them. And my husband sees them every day in his classes - and wants ME. Wooo hoooo.

As I left lunch, a couple of obvious GDI's walked past my table, and one commented loudly to the other, "Let's get out of here. There's too much Greek here for me."

My thoughts exactly.