baby development

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Mona and Lisa Get Smashed

Mona and Lisa are recovering from their first mamogram this morning. They were lifted and stretched out and placed on a warmed metal plate and compressed and imaged from a variety of angles. Tiny b.b. pellets were taped to their nipples so the person reading the mamogram could tell it was the nipple. (Mona and Lisa were slightly disturbed at the prospect of someone reading a mamogram who could not identify a nipple - but then again, they'd never read one either). They were pleasantly surprised that it did not hurt near as much as they had heard. In fact, they had worn underwires that hurt more than being smashed did. They were also happy that the technician was a nice, unthreatening older woman.

After Mona and Lisa were finished, Tootiecat went to the other side of Central Baptist for an ovarian ultrasound. She felt more discomfort than Mona and Lisa had, and she's more worried since her close neighbors, a nice couple called the Ovaries, had recently been diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). Tootiecat's procedure was more invasive and hurt some, too, but she was a big girl and did not cry.

All of them feel slightly violated, albeit necessarily so. Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer only about 3 months ago, and had surgery yesterday to remove a lymph node and more breast tissue. Mom's mom also had breast cancer, and had a breast removed about 15 years ago. While grandma was about 70, mom is only 57. The diagnosis of PSOC means a greater risk of all kinds of cancer, especially endometrial cancer and ovarian cancer. The risk of breast cancer is a given. Now it seems like a wait for when it will occur as opposed to wondering if it will.

So, this is pre-midlife, huh? It is less fun than I expected it would be when I was the age of many of my students. I thought I would be so mature and sophisticated. I thought I would have more material possessions and that I would, for whatever reason, have more fun. I have no clue what made me assume this stage in life would be fun. I supposed I figured if I was finished with school, and had a comfortable income and a good marriage, that would cut it. Well, today was not fun. Mamograms and ovarian ultrasounds before finally heading in to work is not fun. But I will take the celebrations as they come.

My joy is in having a mother who is, for the moment, cancer free. She may now have lop-sided breasts, but no one really gives a rip. Her lymph nodes tested negative - the cancer had not spread, and the surgeon was able to successfully remove the cancerous tissue. And she will now be able to spend some time recovering. I am more thankful for my father today than I have been in a long time. And I'm thankful not for what he has done for me (although that is monumental as well), but for how he has cared for mom. He drove her to Tampa, and stayed with her, and drove her back and cares for her. The sound of his voice when he called to say the surgery went well and the cancer has not spread said it all. He really loves mom, and has for over 37 years now. How he has been these past few month, even though I am many states away, has shown how much he loves her and our little family. We are few in number, but great in love.

At the end of the day, Mona and Lisa are happy for good health insurance, and a good doctor who did not hesitate to call in a referral for these tests. And they are happy to also live with a man who does not equate beauty and attraction with their size, shape, or even their presence.