baby development

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Procrastination

I've just finished writing the midterm exam to give to my night class - tonight at 6:30 - 4 hours from now. Once again, I waited until the last minute. Rest assured I will do this again, and again. The proof is that by typing this blog I am procrastinating at work as well. This procrastination occurs in all kinds of places in my life. So, I figured that while I was procrastinating, I could at least make a list of things I am currently working hard at NOT doing.

I procrastinate when it comes to cleaning my house. I do laundry regularly, and my husband is good about doing dishes and running trash detail. But things get piled up, and the house gets dirty in other ways. But the piles aren't going anywhere, and neither is the dirt. Neither my husband nor I are worse off due to the condition of our home. I see much worse on shows like "Clean Sweep", and "How Clean Is Your House" - shows I like to watch while sitting on the sofa procrastinating about cleaning the house. There is at least some consolation in saying, "See, I'm not THAT bad."

I procrastinate about - loosing weight, starting a Bible study, figuring out a plan to finish a PhD, making a budget, and starting an exercise routine. Now, some of these are more important than others. But I do not have the extra hours to complete these tasks. That's a lie. Yes, I do. But I prefer to play, and relax when I'm not "at work" - home is warm and quiet and comfortable. Why ruin it with trying to be productive? I am a couch potato.

It is snowing outside - this does not make me think of winterizing my home, snow skiing, mountain climbing, or even building a snowman. It makes me wish I were at home, in my jammies, sitting with the cats beside the fireplace (that we do not have - for now, it is the space heater). I do not think about ways to be more active - I think about ways to be less stressed, generally. And I think of ways to prevent strangling complete strangers who tick me off. Surely this is not such a bad thing.