baby development

Monday, February 14, 2005

Valentine's Day

Sitting here in grey sweat pants, about to make a run for Chinese take-out on Valentine's Day, I realize how lucky I am in love:

I have a husband who will walk through the door tonight happy to be home. He took me out on Saturday night, even though I didn't request it and didn't expect it. He is beautiful and sexy, intelligent and ambitious, diligent, and caring. And he will not care that I am in grey sweatpants - in fact, he may very well comment that I look cute. And he will give me a kiss, and smile. Ummm. I'm lucky...and blessed.

Three years ago I ended a most unhappy marriage and gambled on the fact that God had something much better in store for me - and He not only forgave me for the sins of my past, but He poured out belssings unimaginable. He gave me friends, a place to live, income to sustain me, jobs that I have enjoyed, adventures to laugh about, and love sweet love.

Life may not be the prefect happily-ever-after that I would have invented. In fact, as I look around, this is nothing like I would imagined my life would be in 2005. I do not have children, I still have debt, I am in less-than-perfect health and shape, and I did not finish the PhD like I said I would. But I am rich. I do not have to worry about a Tsunami sweeping away my home and my family. I have friends, a husband, and a quirky family. I can go get Chinese take-out and still pay the bills. And my husband will think I am cool for getting take-out. And we will sit on the sofa and watch the news, and we will crawl into bed and start a new day tomorrow. And Valentine's Day will have passed in the usual, uneventful way for both of us. But this was my best Valentine's Day yet...

for it is the first one I spent with my husband, and I like him very much.