baby development

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Blessed By The State

Say what??

Yes, the state of KY has been a real blessing to us as foster parents.

I remember when we decided to become foster parents. We completed all of our MAPP classes, and on the very last class they told us what our subsidies would be (per diem) for our foster children. It was not much, but it was far more than other states. We had counted on getting maybe half that much, but we still went through with it because we wanted children. Anything more just made our cup overflow.

Still, we started saving up to pay for daycare and after-school programs. It was at our final home visit that we learned we could put that money elsewhere. Because both my husband and I both work full time, daycare is paid for by the state. To make it even better, they pay $25 a day - and we were free to choose which daycare we wanted as long as they accepted the amount the state was willing to contract for. We have been very fortunate each time to find a great center. This daycare coverage will continue even after we adopt (we just learned that a month or so ago).

When a child is placed with us, we have always gotten the clothing voucher immediately or within a day. This voucher is for $100 worth of clothing for the child, and is good at numerous places (I have always gone to Burlington Coat Factory where prices are fabulous for infant and toddler clothes.)

We also get reimbursed for materials we buy to start a lifebook (up to $75), then a little more every few months for film developing, printing, etc.

We get WIC vouchers for the kids (I had to take babies there to sign them up for it). These vouchers provide baby formula, and more things for older kids. My monthly formula purchases total about $140 (that I don't have to pay). Above and beyond that, we now buy about a week's worth of formula now that she is eating about 32 ounces a day, and the WIC formula only pays for what amounts to about 26 ounces a day. WIC is a God-send. People look down on me buying my formula with WIC in one order and then buying non-essential items with cash or credit in the same line right afterwards (of course, those nosey people can bite me).

Some of the most expensive things we are left to pay for out of our subsidy and then out-of-pocket, but these kids have all been worth every penny. We get diapers at Sam's Club, and it is significantly cheaper there. She's now in size 3 (dang) in Huggies, and a huge box of 168 is only $30. Of course, 168 diapers only lasts 2-3 weeks, and then its right back to Sam's again. Wipes are another fairly big expense. After all, who has ever used just one baby wipe in a changing? OK, maybe if all she did was pee. But then again, wiping her usually prompts more peeing, which in turn warrants another baby wipe. Ugh.

Right now I'm on the market for an Exersaucer. Dang. I think I paid less for my first car.

If only my parents had invested in companies that make disposable diapers and baby toys - I'd have gone to a much more expensive college, and then maybe I wouldn't be sitting here blogging and trying to pass my day at this boring job. Tamara sits and ponders that a minute. Nah.

So, we've spent a lot of money out of our own pockets. We decided not to keep track of these expenses lest we fail to trust that God would provide. I'm sure that empirically it just doesn't add up. We've just been blessed. We trust it will continue. I think most foster parents feel the same way. We don't know how we're going to do this, but each day we manage to laugh a little, and vent a little, and buy what we need (or want) to buy for our kids. Thank God for the state of KY that helps us be the best foster parents we can be. We are truly blessed.