baby development

Monday, March 20, 2006

We Made It Through 2 Years, Sweetheart

Yup, today is our 2-year wedding aniversary. I wish I had something eloquent, witty, or charming to write about. But instead I will be simple in honor of my husband, who is (most of the time) a man of few words. Here are a few of my unorganized, rushed workday thoughts on my second aniversary:

Most of the time, Michael and I truly like each other. While this might not sound "romantic", it is one of the best reasons to be married to someone. I cannot think of many other people who would be willing to spend so much time with me without wanting to strangle me. Thank you, hun, for putting up with me.

Michael and I (so far) make a good parenting team. We take turns caring for the children that have been in our home, and we agree on steps we take regarding our latest addition to our family. Sugar Cookie has a fantastic dad who plays with her, feeds her, talks to her, cuddles with her, changes her poopie diapers, and watches basketball with her - what more could a 3 month old (happy 3 month birthday, Cookie!) want?

My husband is the most intelligent man I have ever known. It is an honor to be married to someone and not worry about when the next time will be that he does something stupid.

My husband is sexy - downright, drop-dead goregous, knock your socks off sexy. I remember making my female friends gather around and listen to a voice message he had left me because I was convinced that even his voice was sexy. They all agreed it was, and simultaneously agreed I had taken leave of my mind. To this day he gives me chills. I get to be married to an incredibly sexy man who also does not spend much time looking in the mirror or having an inflated ego. Hot damn he is fine.

If I were to die on the way home tonight, everyone can rest assured that I have truly, madly, deeply, with all I have and all I will be - LOVED someone. Never before have I willingly made so many sacrifices that seemed small in exchange for living a life with a great person you truly love. Wow.

Michael has never once complained about anything I do. Never. It is as amazing to me as it probably sounds to you.

Michael has many flaws. The nice thing is that he knows he has them, and actively tries to become a better person. He knows that I have flaws too, and encourages me to become a better person as well.

We have a long ways to go before we have a marriage that I would consider "wonderful". It is rocky, bumpy, stressful, and frustrating sometimes. But there are nice times too - apparently enough to keep us coming home at night, keep us apologizing when we hurt each other or when we screw up, and keep us thinking about the future. I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't what a "wonderful" marriage is really all about - not a fantasy "oooh, it's so perfect", but an "I take you and all the crap too" kinda wonderful. Marriage is hard, agonizing and gut-wrenching at times - (especially if you attempt to accomplish anything truly worthwhile as a couple) - and anyone who tells you that their marriage isn't either hasn't been married long enough...or lies.

It's getting better. Year 3 is gonna kick butt, hun - just you wait and see.

I love you, Michael.