baby development

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Thanks Again, PCOS

I have to write about this. I recently went to the dermatologist and got an interesting diagnosis - aggravated by PCOS. If you bear with this post until the end, I'll get to the point.

While there are many symptoms of PCOS, I am blessed to have more than my fair share. Those that I have that have been scientifically demonstrated to have a connection to PCOS are as follows:

Irregular/sparse menstrual cycles - mine began at age 14, and I've never had more than 8 a year without being on the pill. Since being on Metformin for a year, I have only missed 2 cycles.

Infertility - without ovualtion, this is a no-brainer. I had my first ovarian ultrasound, which showed numerous cysts. I could try a procedure called "ovarian drilling" - yup, drilling. Or not. I vote "not".

Weight gain - At age 16, I was 5'5" and weighed 150. Now at almost-35, I am 100 lbs. heavier. Even with South Beach and Weight Watchers, I am lucky to be able to loose one pound a week with strict dieting. Even so, I should go back.

Depression - yup, diagnosed at age 25 and treated off and on ever since - currently "stable" (evil wicked laugh) on Effexor and having the best clinical results I've ever had despite the blow of infertility.

Acne - oh boy, this is an emotional one for me. At age 14, I started seeing a dermatologist - Retin A, pills, etc. throughout college. Once I was married, I couldn't afford treatments, so I endured adult acne. Birth control pills made it tolerable. Getting off the pills last year made my facial breakouts painful - huge subcutaneous cysts along my neckline that lasted for weeks. The infections under the skin made my lymph nodes enlarge and actually caused low-grade fevers that just made me feel weak enough to not have energy. I have a little scaring from the 20 years of dealing with breakouts and occasional cysts.

Allergies/asthma - new findings related to this area in the medical literature lately - I have terrible allergies, and asthma attacks can be controlled if I keep the allergies in check.

Excess body and facial hair - oh yeah, nothing says "sexy" like a hairy beast of a woman. I am part Greek, part Hungarian (as well as a few other things thrown in for good measure). I have always considered the black hair on my legs that must be shaved daily and the thick dark brown hair on my arms and my "unibrow" that must be tweezed and my Brooke Shields eyebrows to be genetic/ethnic. I did nothing extraordinary until there were commercials on TV for products like Epi-Stop and Nads. All of these ads showed women removing the hair from their arms! I had never known about this phenomenon until I had enough money to get my hair cut at good salons. Eventually, stylists asked if I had considered waxing my arms. I must admit, my feelings were a bit hurt. I began to examine the arms of fellow females more closely, and much to my disappointment, few had as much arm hair as I did.

When I was about to get married, one of my bridesmaids asked if I was going to remove the hair from my arms because I was wearing a sleeveless dress. Um, I hadn't considered it. I decided to go for it. I sat through painful waxing of my arms by an incompetent waxer-woman only to discover that arm stubble is worse than dark fuzzy hair any day. The pinkness went away in time for the wedding, and I couldn't get used to my baby-butt smooth arms.

Now, for years I have been tweezing hair from my face. I've been tweezing from the time I was a teenager and cared about excess facial hair and big eyebrows. As an adult, I began to have to tweeze hair on my chin. For the last 5 years, the hairs have gotten thicker and darker and grow fast. Every morning, after showing I would sit in front of my makeup mirror and tweeze hairs out of my chin and a few along the neck. It would take no less than 10 or 15 minutes every morning. If I went on vacation, I had to pack tweezers so as not to sprout thick man-hairs on my chin that were long enough to be clearly seen at a distance.

Now comes the dermatologist trip I mentioned:

Last month, I developed no less than 8 subcutaneous cysts along my jaw-line. I treated with every product imaginable (Pro-Active, etc.). Nothing worked and they got worse. My lymph nodes were swollen and I felt miserable (and incredibly embarrassed). I went to my GP, who referred me to a dermatologist. My GP suspected the hormone shifts and my endocrine system had gone all wonky. He was wrong (in a way).

The dermatologist talked to be briefly as I explained my PCOS and treatment and my GP's "best guess". He put on the big mega-goggles and closely examined my chin. He rolled his chair back and sternly asks, "Do you pluck your facial hair?" I replied, "Of course I do, I look like a man otherwise!" (hyperbole intended) He went on to explain that he thought I did not have acne per-se, but rather had developed a...(drumroll please)...resistant facial infection. Niiiiice, real nice. He took a culture of the spots on my face, and started to write a prescription. I then told him that the reason my GP had referred me if because I am trying to conceive and I can't take just any old antibiotic. The dermatologist pokes fun at me for being "difficult" (I actually liked his table-side manner a lot), and writes a prescription for Brevoxyl and says he'll call with the lab results on my face. For the time, I was to discard all washcloths and makeup brushes that touch my face and buy all brand new ones. I was also scolded for "scratching and picking at" my face. (Um, heloooooo - it itches!!) Out I went to buy new supplies.

The tests came back - it was a resistant bacterial infection that had gotten under my skin probably due to tweezing. Plucked hairs leave open follicles and wham-o, ugly little germs take up residence therein. I was mortified. The doctor prescribed an antibiotic specific to skin infections. Of course, what happened after 10 days on that? Yep, it killed all the "good bacteria" that live in my coochie snorcher, and it hurt to pee for another week. Clear skin, painful tootie cat. Lovely. I was a mess.

The Brevoxyl wasn't covered by my insurance (of course not - what IS covered these days?). It cost $73 for a freakin bottle of what amounted to this: a 4% Benzoyl Peroxide face was. Yes, a face wash. I got some from dermatologistrx.com for $12. Then I discovered that you can get a few brands at Wal-Mart that are 10% Benzoyl Peroxide for about $5. I've stocked up. Germs beware.

But here is the most lovely thing: I am forbidden from plucking or tweezing. - ever again. Yah. And the hair is awful. The only thing I am allowed to do is shave with a sterile razor. Yes world, I am shaving my chin and upper lip every morning. I also have to shave between my eyebrows in order to avoid the uni-brow. I cannot wax or use chemical removers because all leave the follicle open.

So now what? I go back next month to be sure the infection is gone, and then...

I will have to do laser hair removal. Yup. They will zap my face and kill the hair (and probably a few brain cells too *grin*). Of course, insurance will not cover that either, and the dermatologist believes it will probably take 3 or 4 sessions. The sessions are $150 each for just my chin. Since that is the really bad part, that is what I will try first.

PCOS has done so many crazy things to me, and a part of me remains frustrated that no physician put two and two together before now - especially since about 5% of all women will develop it. And I had never heard of it before I was diagnosed. It my new GP about 10 minutes into the first visit to come to the conclusion that the ultrasound he ordered just confirmed. I guess when I rattled off the list of things I am treated for, it wasn't too tough.

As if infertility and trying to convince your husband to baby-dance with you when you aren't really in the mood isn't bad enough...try doing it with a facial infection.

Thanks, PCOS. I really needed this.