baby development

Friday, February 24, 2006

I've Created A Diva

Okay - get this:

Whenever you get a baby from the hospital for a foster care placement, the worker brings you these huge goodie-bags of supplies for the baby. Included are usually a ton of pre-mixed 2oz. bottles of formula and individually wrapped nipples to put on them and then toss. There are blankets - some of ours have had tags attached saying "Handmade By Inmate #2846" - those are very cool - especially when the inmate is male. There are clothes and booties, and packs of diapers. Every time we have gotten a baby from the hospital (which is 3 times now), we have gotten these huge bags of surprises. Well, also in the bags are usually bottles to use later on. These bottles are all different types and qualities. And we've used them all.

Well, when Sugar Cookie came to live with us, she had trouble latching on and swallowing. I had heard about Avent bottles, so I went to Target in the middle of the night and bought a 3-pack. Holy cow - I almost passed out when I saw the price - $13 for a pack of 3 bottles, and the replacement nipples were $4 for 2. Thinking my Cookie was worth it, I bought a 3 pack. Recently, I bought replacement nipples for a faster flow. We use these bottles along with the other assorted el-cheapos that we have collected since last September. Well, recently at day care, they told us she is refusing her bottles. What the??? I just did not understand this. She comes home and drinks like - well, a drunk at last call.

Then I discovered it. I had few clean bottles and she was hungry. I prepared formula in one of the el-cheapo bottles, sat down on the sofa with her in our usual spot, and inserted said bottle. Oooh, she got mad. She shook her head from side to side and scrunched up her face. I tried to stick it back in her mouth - and she pushed it out with her tongue! I tried to reason with her - I said "Look Cookie, mommy's tired and this is all I've got. Please drink it." You're begining to see who the winner was, right?

I placed Cookie in her swing, and she proceeded to cry and cry and cry. Menawhile, I quickly extracted an Avent bottle and nipple from the sink and washed it by hand, thinking to myself it was probably not particularly sterile, but hearing a crying baby and wanting the crying to stop won out. I dumped the formula out of el-cheapo into the cadillac of all bottles and went back to get my crying Cookie. Again, we sat on the sofa, and once I placed the nipple in her mouth, she closed her eyes and feasted.

I said to her, "Great, I've created a diva." She has the simplest of tastes - she only wants the best.

So, friends, Avent bottles rock. The nipples look really, really funky. I was thinking I am very glad that my nipples are not that long. Holy cow - I mean LONG. And I think she does spit up less with them, but she still farts - a lot. She is a farting-machine diva. She should have a tiny tiarra.

She is becoming more like me every day - except the farting part - which we all know I NEVER do.