baby development

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Day Care... Sniff Sniff

It hurts to think about placing Sugar Cookie in day care. But alas, we are a dual-income family for obvious reasons. Neither of us makes enough alone to pay the bills and keep us in the lifestyle we have "grown accustomed to". We have a new house (and new mortgage), 2 cars with one car note, 2 cats, and an infant - um, yeah. So, off to work we both go.

I found that the Kindercare around the corner from campus has a 1 year waiting list. Man, that seems like if you are even thinking about getting pregnant, you'd better get on their list. I can see the conversation now: "Um, yes, hi. My name is Tamara Cookie and I am thinking about getting pregant soon. Can I get on your waiting list for say, 16 months from now? I'm assuming it will take a few months for it to take."

So, the nice lady at that center referred me to another location, and we were good to go. After work, I will head over and check the place out to be sure it's where I would feel comfortable having her.

But alas, beggers can't be choosers here. There are lots of places, but very few openings. An unlike a pregnancy which would allow you to get on a waiting list, foster care is a 1-hour notice most of the time. We've been grateful for life situations that have allowed us to shuffle Sugar Cookie here and there with us when we had to work.

Cookie has been accompanying Michael to the class he teaches this semester in communication theory. Sometimes she sleeps through class in her car seat, and sometimes he has to hold her while he teaches. Either way, the students don't seem to mind much. I think it's great for them to see this PhD-holding, very professional man with his tiny baby - he makes a great role model. That's what two days a week are like for him. The rest of the days Michael has either had her in the office with him, or he has been a stay-at-home dad and took care of her while trying to do some writing and catch up on email. I believe this is how they have bonded so much.

So, if all goes well tonight at the day care visit, she will start on Monday. She will go there 5 days a week unless one of us is off work, or just doesn't feel like taking her in on a given day. Oh, this is causing me anxiety already.

But - hey ya'll - sster has BIG NEWS!!! Go over to her site and read all about it!