baby development

Monday, March 13, 2006

GOAL CHANGED!

Ladies and gentlemen, we have the results of today's court appointment:

Sugar Cookie's goal has now been officially changed to adoption. Her social worker just called me and told me the news - she was thrilled. She will now have 60 days from today (until May 15th) to get the 161 packet together (I have no idea what that is) and show that we have petitioned for termination of parental rights.

Interestingly enough, that is 4 days before my 35th birthday (the day I had promised myself that if I did not have a child by that point, I would seek to adopt). Amazing.

So - you want to know what is going on with Biomom, don't you. Well, folks, she needs a lot of prayer. She was not in court today because she was ordered by her probation officer to inpatient. Her worker says she has never had someone court ordered to inpatient, so it must be bad. I cannot fathom her situation. R. said this means she will not have any more visits with Sugar Cookie until she is out of drug treatment - which could be a while.

Of course, you know there has to be at least one hitch in the giddy-up (whatever that means). Biomom's sister did come to court this morning to complain about being turned down to take the baby. Apparently the investigator disapproved her because she "did not have enough room" (not sure what that means, exactly). R. said she would respond to the complaint, but wasn't worried because the investigations are pretty systematic and objective. I just want to know where this sister was when the other two siblings were adopted last year - but maybe she was disapproved then, too. Who knows.

So, all we will be doing now is sitting back and trying to relax for the next 60 days before gearing up for another court date.

Life is interesting, isn't it?

Sugar Cookie will be 12 weeks old tomorrow. She's doing just great. She rolled over for the first time yesterday and you'd have thought I won the lottery I was so excited. Little things are so very cool.

I think we will try to get away this weekend (with the baby) and praise God and go sit in a hottub in a suite somewhere in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg.

Whew! The adrenaline is flowin', friends.