baby development

Thursday, September 08, 2005

A Professor By Any Other Name...

...would be as sweet?

In addition to my full-time position at the University of Kentucky, I teach part-time at Bluegrass Community and Technical College (formerly Lexington Community College). The course I teach is Interpersonal Communication - a subject I've been teaching in for over 10 years now. From 1999-2004, I taught as a professor at Columbus State University in Columbus, GA. When I moved to Lexington to be with my husband (also a professor) after he had taken the position on the faculty here, I taught 3 classes as an adjunct professor to bring in some income and make myself feel productive and worthwhile while looking for the right full-time position. I still teach 1 evening class each semester for the pure experience of teaching.

Last night in the middle of class, a young woman raised her hand to ask a question. She asked, "Can we call you Tamara"? I was surprised, as classes had started a mere 2 weeks ago and I had already covered the "what do we call you" section of the syllabus, in which I say that Mrs. So-and-so, Professor So-and-so, or Professor A (my favorite) are all acceptable forms of address. I have not finished my PhD, so I should not be called "Doctor". Anyone teaching in a college or university with a terminal MA or MS degree is then typically called "Mr", "Mrs.", or "Professor". I do this little talk nicely, and most students do end up calling me "Professor A", especially since that's how I sign my e-mails. I have never - I repeat - never, had a student ask if they could address me by my first name.

Surprised, I asked, "Well...do you want to call me Tamara?" I wondered if somehow students had gotten together and gotten a spokesperson to ask for the group. "Well, yeah", she replied. "I mean, we're practically the same age, so it seems weird to call you Professor or Mrs. A or anything like that." I was shocked as I didn't think we were the same age. She replied that she was 30-something also. I asked if calling me Professor A made her uncomfortable. She said that it did. She explained that all of her other teachers at the college have students call them by their first names. She asserted, "You don't call me Ms. Smith". At that point, one older (my age perhaps) student spoke up and said simply, "She doesn't have to." Later, he stated, "It's a matter of respect. Respect is earned." Granted, all of this exchange was taking place in front of the class, which, if I had not been feeling so croup-y and using my better judgement, I would never have allowed to happen. She had put me uncomfortably on the spot and I had allowed it to continue instead of saying politely, "To save an uncomforatble moment, I think that would be best discussed after class." Or, as my husband suggested in our , he would have simply said, "No" and moved right along.

As I looked out at the class in the dimly lit room, I saw how uncomfortable folks had become, and I regretted that. Lesson learned. Less is more.

I often err on the side of friendliness as a professor. When I first started teaching, I was determined to be a tough-as-nails, take-no-crap, shoot-first-ask-questions-later kind of teacher. I bombed my first semester. My mentor took me aside and explained that while I didn't have to wear a red suit with brass buttons, I had better not wear jeans and sneakers to class either. She ended our conversation by saying, "Remember, Tammy Faye (that's what she called me), you're there to be their professor, not their friend." "But Dr. H", I pressed, "I want my students to like me." She frowned, "Then you've got a tough road ahead. You're better off if you stick to wanting them to learn. If you do that right, some degree of liking will come naturally - the right kind of liking. But just be yourself - just a professional you." The next semester I tried that approach, and it was much better.

Over the years, I've become a much better teacher. In 2001, I was awarded Educator of the Year at Columbus State University. But last night taught me that I still have much to learn. I should have taught more last night instead of letting the conversation go all wonky and off on tangents (even though I found it quite interesting and it did relate to their assignment). And I should have just said "No. I'd prefer you call me Professor A." and moved on. I tried too hard to be likeable, and worried to much about what people think of me. Lesson learned. As much as I might dig the students at BCTC, I am not there to make friends over drinks. I'm there to be a damn good professor - to challenge them, encourage them, and teach them.

The only time I called a professor by his/her first name was in graduate school - and only by my closest mentor who suggested I could call her "Lynne." Even now, I still call Dr. H "Dr." - I couldn't even dream of just busting out with "Katherine".

My husband explains to his students that his earned title is "Professor" (as is mine, by the way - even if it is "just" an adjunct professor - that's the title). His honorary title is "Dr." He gives them the option of using either form of address. He does not give the option of using his first name, and I can't imagine a student asking. He says no one ever has. And they adore him no less. He's one of the most likeable and respected faculty members around - yet students feel comfortable talking to him about all kinds of things. They like him. I'm listening to my husband more from now on. He's a pretty smart guy.