baby development

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Just Waiting Patiently

Just a quick note for anyone checking in on the blog:

We have been told we will be certified with our license number as soon as Michael's therapist/counselor can send in her letter. The powers that be want to verify that Michael is stable and well-adjusted enough to be a resourse parent - and later, a father. I'm not offended. It is a good sign of a system that cares that much about children. Still, it is amazing that anyone can just pop out as many biologicla children and they'd like (or not like), without any thought. But as soon as someone decides to foster or adopt, its the Inquisition.

We recovered from our weekend with Bumble Bee, and just the other day Michael sent me a text message that he missed her. I did, too.

I'm more settled lately, with a greater sense of humility and peace than I had before. I needed last weekend with Bumble Bee, and needed to be challenged and reminded of how hard this will be. I needed to be reminded that you can make mac n' cheese in 5 minutes, or you can let a little child sit on the counter next to the stove and let her add the butter, dump in the powdered cheese, pour in the milk, and stir. The process takes a lot longer, but watching the excitement of a 3 year old was worth every minute it took.