baby development

Monday, September 05, 2005

My In-Laws Meet Katrina

My husband's family all lives in Laurel, Mississippi. They've been there for generations. He has parents there, and aunts, uncles, cousins, and many friends. Laurel is about half an hour north of Hattiesburg, MS - about 200 miles north of New Orleans.

Last week, my family who lives in Florida and weathered 2 hurricanes last season called to ask about Michael's family. They were extremely upset to learn that his family was staying in Laurel to sit approaching Katrina. Frankly, we didn't know a lot about what was going on, and there were reasons for that.

First, we didn't even know about the hurricane's path and intensity. We knew my brother in West Palm had only gotten heavy rain and wind, and my parents in Vero Beach were fine. We figured that was the end of the story.

Second, I try not to watch much television. Most of the television Michael watches is sports. And last weekend, we had Bumble Bee so all we had on was cartoons and football.

Lastly, Michael and his family don't share or disclose much. He typically calls in on Sunday afternoons for a quick chat with his family. He talks to his brother most every day, but those conversations tend to be about sports or the latest music release.

On Sunday night, my mother convinced us to call and ask Michael's family to come up and stay with us in Lexington. There was absolutely no convincing anyone to move. Even then, I figured maybe they would just get a lot of rain and some wind.

We were all so wrong. But God kept everyone safe.

We lost contact with the family until Thursday, when one family member finally did get phone service. Everyone was fine. In fact, Michael's parents got power back quickly, and had water. Everyone had huddled into my in-laws house to whether the storm together. In fact, momma told us yesterday that at one point, there were a total of 17 people in their house. To fully appreciate how many 17 might be, you should realize that the house only has 3 small bedrooms and 1 1/2 bathrooms. Yes - only 1 shower. But they had power, and water, and food. And everyone was safe. There are still at least 10 people there.

New reports from around the area showed massive destruction. But the in-laws believe they have no damage to the house. That is nothing short of a miracle.

We will be sending help as much as we can.

When my husband went in to work, he had a message from a colleague that she wanted to help his family. He had said nothing. She just remembered he was from there. When he went to her office, she told him that she had given during 9/11 but never knew exactly where her money went. This time she wanted to know. She gave Michael $500, and told him to tell her if his family needed more. God had sent an angel right to us. And we are sending the money out tomorrow so that folks can buy food and cleaning supplies, and anything else they might need. With so much family there, the need will be great. Even re-stocking the refridgerator with the basics will be expensive. And many members of the family are not folks this would be easy for.

I look at those families on the news, and my heart breaks. As I sit on my comfy sofa in my nice livingroom eating my hot meal I am aware of all I have - and therefore, all I am called to give. We will be heading to Wal-Mart today to buy water and cleaning supplies to put on semi trucks headed south this week. And we will give as much money as we can after we have taken care of our family.

We are thankful for folks down there seeing to family members we can't even get to right now. We know God will bless you greatly for your faithfulness.