baby development

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Nothing Entertains Like an Ex-husband

Brian is a man of many surprises. His unpredictability is downright predictable. And on a day like today, when I feel the proverbial rug being yanked out from under my feet for reasons I am too distraught to even blog about, knowing what he is up to somehow makes me grin.

When I called him earlier this week to ask about some old paperwork, he was excited to inform me that he and his wife Stacy are moving at the end of September. Where? Columbus, GA. Yes, the city he and I lived in together for 5 years. Yup. And they are going there this weekend to look at apartments. He wants to move back to the same apartment complex we lived in before. Why? Because (drum roll), he had decided he wants to pursue acting full time.

"Wow, Brian, that's awesome. Good for you.", I managed to get out while trying to sound excited. I was stunned. He's 36 years old. He's acted or served in some capacity in dozens of shows over the years - but nothing above the Springer Opera House in Columbus, GA. Now, it is the state theatre of Georgia. But he has never had a lead role there. There's a reason for that. He's not attractive. He can act alright, and sing alright, and he can be pretty funny on stage. But that's because he's funny looking. The only formal training in acting he's ever had has been high school and classes at the community college 15 years ago. But the man fancies himself an actor.

One of his major complaints throughout our marriage was that I "didn't support his desire to be an actor". This is true, I did not. How dare me think he needed to work in a job that would pay our bills and get us out of debt. How dare I rain on his parade. How dare I think he needed to earn a college degree, or have a stable career.

Late in our marriage I decided he deserved a shot (though I do don't know why). So I paid a professional photographer to do his headshots. I created an acting resume that I had a printer put on the back of his 8x10s. I paid for him to take voice lessons every week. I bought him volumes of books of monologues and music books and sheet music. And we went to UPTA auditions in Memphis, Tennessee with two friends of ours who also wanted to audition. After all was said and done, he was offered 2 jobs - one to do puppet theatre for a 9 month season for about $500 a month, and one offer to join a gay singing group called the Prides. Oh boy. He accepted nothing because we could not afford to LIVE if he did either of these - and well, the offer from the Prides hurt his...pride. SO, we returned home. He continued to appear in shows at the Springer Opera House, and after he moved to FL, he worked with the Barn Theatre again. He never earned more than a couple hundred dollars for any show he ever appeared in at the Springer. This did not even pay for gas money and the money we had to spend on food and Brian's love of special theatre makeup. My parents often reminded me that if Brian had time and energy for theatre, he darn well had time to get a second job to get us our from under all this debt.

Well, years later, and he and Stacy are going to be in the same spot. I feel no pitty for her. She, like me, made her bed. She'll learn how comfortable it is.

Neither he or Stacy have a job there. But he says she will "get a job in the mall". And he's convinced a woman he works with at his optical store now is going to find him a job in Columbus. Yeah, okay. Brian was also very excited because he called and talked to the directors at the Springer who have already told him he's going to be in Guys and Dolls. He exclaimed, "And I didn't even have to audition - sight unseen!" Wow. Good for you, Brian. I'll bet Stacy is proud. I, on the other hand, am just praising God that's not my life anymore.

But at least he keeps me entertained.