baby development

Thursday, April 21, 2005

My Workday Prayer

Heavenly Father,
Thank you for this job that you graciously provided me with. You have blessed me beyond measure with a job that pays more than any job I have ever held. I am blessed with many good people to work with who are kind and supportive, and you knew I would need that. You blessed me with two jobs in universities where I could learn and have intelligent conversations - you knew I needed that too. You blessed me with students that I care for who are eager to learn - from me. You knew I needed to teach others, and you provided me with a part-time job teaching that paid the bills while you created this job for me. I know, Father, that it took time to create this job out of whole cloth, and set into motion all of the things that had to happen in oder for me to be right where I am today. I praise you! Thank you for loving me enough to care about my little life on this great big planet.

You also knew that in order to mould me, you had to break me. I pray that you would allow me to discover, in days like today, the value and meaning of my place here in this office, on this campus, and in this city.

Father, I pray for my boss who does not know you. Please guide me as I struggle to be in her presence as she curses, complains, and conveys negativity to those around her. Let me and others in this office continue to show your love to her, desptite how she treats us. Let me show her your love. I pray for my co-workers who do not know you. Help me be strong as I strive to share you with them. Help me find the best ways to talk to them about you. Keep me protected from the temptation to buy into her negativity, or to react in kind. Deliver me from this evil.

I pray that you lead me to stay in this job as long as you would have me here. Help me not be a quitter, Father, but help me also know when (or if) my time here is through. If you would have me leave, let me have faith and courage to step out. If you would have me stay, help me seek the strength from you to wake up every morning ready to face what is here in the office, and help me come home happier and more at peace at the end of each day. Help me to see the blessing in the job I'm instead of wishing for the job that could have been.

And lastly, Father, I pray that your will would be done in my life, and in my career - and in my husband's as well. If we are to move to North Dakota, we submit to your will. If we are to stay here, we will be grateful for what you have provided. It is your will we want, not our own.

Thank you again, Father, for providing me with this job. May I consider my trials here to be pure joy as they test my faith and develop perseverance.

Amen