baby development

Monday, April 04, 2005

The Best "Girls Weekend" Ever

Going back to work the Monday following a girl's weekend syphens. This past weekend, my friend Megan came up to visit while my husband was out of town for a conference. Folks at work seemed to think I would regale them with stories of our drinking and dancing and picking up men. But what we DID do was so much better than that could have ever been.

Thursday night we had dinner at home - "Big A" salads and veggie lasagna in front of the TV. Friday (after working half a day) we had lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant and made what might have been the biggest "Wal-Mart run" we've ever made together. We admired new spring colors of clothes, and found a deal on bath towels. We laughed about how I could not make up my mind about what color of towels to buy. Friday night was dinner at home again - with the best darn chicken salad ever from the Yogurt Shop back in Columbus, GA. To top it off, Megan created a work of art - the biggest Strawberry shortcake I'd ever eaten. The two bowls held nearly 2 boxes of strawberries, 2 pound cakes, 1 pint of Hagen Daz, and whipped ("ssssshhhh") cream. It was heavenly. And we laughed and laughed. We watched the movie "Happy Accidents" and laughed together on the sofa at what turned out to be a truly great movie in unexpected ways.

Saturday we slept in, watched TV, made yet another Wal-Mart run for things I'd forgotten in the last run, and made bacon and chicken salad sandwiches for lunch. Oooooh, it was good. We watched Trading Spaces on TV and did next-to-nothing. We gave ourselves manicures - got out the entire Mary Kay Satin Hands set, cuticle treatments, all my nail polishes, and vitamin E oil. We played around on our laptops and she chatted with her boyfriend. I took some photos of her to e-mail to him while he is overseas. As if we really needed more food, we drove out into the mountain to Ward's Landing for fried fish and chicken on the buffet. We ate fish, and chicken, and pork, mashed and scalloped potatoes, and corn, biscuits, and chocolate cake and coconut cream pie for dessert. We laughed like idiots about how we couldn't breathe, and came home and took tums.

I was so sad to see her go on Sunday morning. We hadn't laughed like that together for a long time. Neither of us was depressed or frantically working out issues. She put up with my talk about fertility issues like a true friend, even though I'm sure in countless ways it was hard to listen to. She's the only person I've talked to about it, and she listens in ways my husband simply can't.

I'm so glad God sent me this sister. She's prayed with me and for me, helped me clean my nasty house, held me when I cried and screamed, and took care of me when the doctor wouldn't release me into my own care. But this weekend was great for what wasn't there - no trauma, no tears, just us - true, unadulterated, pressure-free. Maybe we're both growing up a little and getting healthier. I know this much - we're good for each other. She puts up with my crap, without letting me get away with it. She accepts me as I am - fatally flawed yet forgiven.

Thank God for sending Megan to be my friend.