baby development

Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Coolest Question To-Date...

...came late yesterday in an e-mail from our adoption worker who had just received the fee letter she needed from our attorney in order to finish putting together our contract. She asked:

What would you like Cookie's full legal name to be upon adoption?

You could have knocked me over with a feather I felt so faint upon reading that. It was so official, so legal, so...beautiful.

I immediately sent my reply:

It will be Mia Elizabeth Ourlastname.

(She will be named Mia because Michael's initials are M.I.A., thus, she will be named after her dad.)

I admired that line in the e-mail for a spell before sending it on its way.

I swallowed hard, and felt my eyes grow wet. I blinked them away and went back to answering other e-mail.

Sometimes, the joy is in the little things along the journey. I pray that when she is 13 and acting like a brat, that I remember moments like this when my greatest and most important goal in life was to ensure that she be my daughter forever.