baby development

Monday, May 22, 2006

A Great Birthday Weekend

I successfully turned 35 on Friday without much fuss. Michael took Cookie and I out to an extremely nice place for dinner, and we had no qualms about toting Cookie right in and up to the table in her carrier while we (carnivores that we are) feasted on juicy steaks.

Dessert was waiting for me at home - a huge assorement of gourmet chocolate-dipped strawberries - some rolled in coconut, sliced almonds, or pecans. Divine.

Cookie got me a bouquet of sugar cookies (very appropriate).

I have another gift coming from my husband that will arrive later this week, though I know not what it will be. Hmmm.

On Friday I went to the dermatologist to have a harmless growth/lump removed from near my right elbow. It was neither growing nor painful, and it had appeared at least 15 years ago, but it was ugly. So, $400 and some pain later, it is gone. I'll get the stitches out in a week, and then I'll be back in another 2 weeks for another round of laser hair removal for my face. It is national "Improve Myself" year for me. I feel better already. I had wanted to get my hair done, but getting in with a good stylist around here is like waiting for Christmas. So, on June 1 I am going to become a redhead again, and the long tresses will be history.

On Sunday, Cookie and I went to Wal-Mart to have mother-daughter pictures made. They turned out so cute that I ended up spending a whole lot more on pictures than I had planned, but I escaped for less than $60, so all is not lost. They will be in on June 9th, and rest assured they will get posted!

Next month, Michael and Cookie are going to have father-daughter pictures made together. They have a basketball background, and daddy and daughter are both going to wear their UK gear for the pictures. I can't wait for those to be done.

In July, for Cookie's 7 month birthday, we are all going to have our pictures done as a family - maybe even somewhere nicer than Wal-Mart (though the photographer there has been very sweet to us each time we have gone).

No news on the TPR front. I don't stalk my social worker anymore. God's got this one, which is good because I just don't have the time! We'll find out the status on the paperwork at the SW's May visit to our house anyway, so there is no need to call and bother her.

On my birthday, my mom told me "I love you" over the phone. It was the first time she had offered that sentiment first, voluntarily, since I began my relationship (my interracial relationship, then marriage) with Michael almost five years ago. She also invited us to come visit them this summer in FL. I almost fainted. Thank God I was in the bed. Then she also said she and dad wanted to come visit us here in Lexington. She said "we gotta come she this child before she turns 10!" (10 being the random hyperbole our family is famous for). I agree. They need to have more faith and less fear too. She is their grandaughter, and has been since December 22nd, 2005. She's growing up so fast, and I want her to know her grandparents.

So, we press on. Life is excellent.

This morning I left Cookie in the bed next to Michael. Later this morning when I called to see how his day was going, he confessed that he had slept until 9. Now, he AND Cookie would have had to both sleep that long, which apparently was exactly what they did - right next to each other. Like father, like daughter.