baby development

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Feeding & Growing

For two weeks now, Cookie has been eating carrots, bananas, and rice cereal and enjoying it immensely. At first, she pushed it right out with her tongue. But quickly she learned to swallow and eat with much delight - even without wearing a lot of it. Tonight we may try sweet potatoes.

Downside to this cute phase: Carrot spit-up is nasty looking. Diaper contents take on new color combinations. Gas can become a problem again (although Cookie thinks it is very funny to fart on you while you are changing her diaper).

Cookie also loves to make "raspberries" with her lips. They used to be pretty small, but now they are great big raspberries filled with vast amounts of baby-spit. She also discovered that doing this while eating will make mommy and daddy laugh. This will likely not be funny much longer as I was wearing tiny droplets of carrot last night - and this was not the fashion statement I was going for.

She's outgrown all her 3-6 month clothes. Hello 6-9 month outfits. I keep thinking "Geez, couldn't Julie just keep Sugar Bean and then I'd have someone to send these clothes to?" (Okay, so I know SB will go home soon, but I can dream. Besides, Julie's gonna get another one - and Lisa too. Hehehe.)

I love this support network. I love seeing QueenBee's pictures of Princess and Speedy, getting updates on MN from Jeremy and Nicole...and the list goes on. I love hearing about Little Guy from Meegan - and praying for court dates to come quickly for all of us. I love rejoicing in pregnancy news from sster and Sunnie. I love hearing about Gawdessness' match with Spring and Brick, and Lisa getting Baby N. And now Bo and Jackala get to stay with their mom. And there is some waiting for brand new foster parents to get their first placement. Things are happening everywhere. There is so much hope - so much celebration of family in so many forms. All of you give me so much joy and hope. Each day I come home and tell Michael the recap of the day's blogs - I tell him how you all are doing. I forward links to him so he can see your pictures - or pray for you too. I think he knows all of you without ever having read your blogs.

I'm not sure about Michael, but each day I come closer to wanting to put an email in to out social worker to be put on the list again for another placement - this time a baby boy. I really think we will one day. Maybe it will be when Cookie is in a toddler bed and the crib is empty - or maybe we will just make room for another crib - or ask for a toddler. Either way, family now has new meaning.

So, here's a peek into what my next post will contain:

Michael and I and Cookie are traveling to Ohio where Michael will officiate a wedding ceremony of two of his former graduate students. Yup - he had to go to some crazy website to get "ordained" and now he is ordained in the church of Universal Happiness or something like that. It should be entertaining. Cookie's first wedding. Seems fitting as several weeks ago she had to experience her first funeral. I tell ya, the girl has a full life. Oh, and you can bet your sweet boopie that I'll be taking pictures and videos now that I know how to use this fabulous camera of mine.

I know you can't wait. You'll be stalking my blog for pictures. Hehehe.