baby development

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The FUNNIEST Baby Experience To Date

My husband has been home sick with the sick baby for two days now as they have bonded and suffered their sinus and ear infections together.

I arrived home last night around 5:45 to find my beautiful husband and foster-daughter sitting together on the livingroom sofa enjoying the early evening news. As is my fashion, I walked over and kissed them both and scooped up Sugar Cookie into my arms and greeted her and got my daily dose of baby grins.

I made myself comfortable with the baby on the sofa across from my husband and we settled down to watch the evening news and chat about what we wanted for dinner. I bounced Sugar Cookie on my thighs and she "stood" and did little dances of joy between little squeals of "oh my ear hurts mommy" - which is sounds like "mwahahbwaahaaaaaaa", but you get the point.

After several minutes of this, I went to pull her close to me for a hug, and I put one hand on her back and my right hand under her bottom, and I felt wetness.

"Oh Michael, she's wet!", I exclaimed.
"She can't be, I just changed her."
"Well, maybe she sprung a leak.", I suggested.
"Maybe."

As I got up to take her upstairs, I saw brown emerging from between the legs of the footie sleeper she was dressed in.

"Eeeew! There's poop coming out too!"
Of course, I had to hold her up to show it to Michael, who was sitting on the sofa in disbelief and proffering suggestions as to how her might have gotten the diaper on crooked or something.

I walked upstairs with Cookie doing my usual sing-songy "Who's stinky? Are YOU stinky?" Cookie squealed with delight, and as I placed her on the changing table I saw just how wet and brown her sleeper was on the outside. I figured she had done quite a number and it had just gushed out the sides.

As I unbuttoned her jammies, all I saw was a naked baby, pee, and poop.

There was NO DIAPER. Just a peachy beige naked baby.

Well, I started to laugh, and then baby started to kick her legs in excitement in response to my amusement. I laughed so hard snot came out of my nose, and I was worried I was going to pee my pants. I called for Michael to "come help me" and to share in my amusement.

As he laid eyes on the sight of the baby, it clicked.

"I forgot to put a diaper on her?"

"YEAH!", I hollered through bursts of laughter. I could hardly breathe.

"Oh hun, you ARE tired!"

Poor Michael was enbarassed beyond imagination and proclaimed himself stupid. I made sure to correct him.

"No hun, you're not stupid. It's funny. I was the very best part of my whole day."

That was the truth. It is by far the funniest thing that has happened with the baby. I hope one day we get to tell her this story when she's older and can truly appreciate her father's funnier side.