baby development

Monday, March 27, 2006

Cookie's First Ear Infection

It seems like a strange thing to document, but as I am so far horrible about putting together Cookie's lifebook and pretty good about maintaining the blog, at least I can record event here to scrapbook later.

Last week, I was sick. I was very, very sick - sore throat, cough, stuffy, achy, (whiny) - later this led to the lovely coughing up of green goo. Disgusting. Michael got it over the weekend, and we thought the baby had a pretty mild case of a cold and low grade fever. Until this morning...

Michael had graciously stayed up with Cookie so I could get some sleep. We knew she didn't feel good because she was fussy all weekend and a bit lethargic. Before I left I wanted to hold her and cuddle her for a while, but when I picked her up, she was so hot. I popped in her pacifier-thermometer (those are awesome, by the way), and it was 101.4. I just squirted some baby Tylenol in her mouth while Michael thew on some sweats, and then he rushed her to the pediatrician's office.

Diagnosis - ear infection. Ugh. Michael picked up her prescription for an antibiotic and then took her back home. He's a good dad for being willing to do all that so I could finally come in to work (I was out sick Thursday and Friday coughing up a lung).

I feel awful for her, but I am glad to know she doesn't have something worse.

This explains why she woke up every time we tried to lay her down in the crib - the pressure on her ears while lying down was too painful. So, guess she'll just have to sleep on top of us on the sofa for a few nights. Poor Cookie.

She's still beautiful.

Oh, and the Hepatitis C test came back negative - Praise the Lord. She had about a 5% chance of contracting it from her birthmom, and there is no cure, so we are so relieved and thankful.