baby development

Friday, December 23, 2005

Our First Night With "Sugar Cookie"

My dad has given this little baby girl her new nickname - "Sugar Cookie" - in honor of Christmas and how sweet she looks.

Sugar Cookie arrived around 4:30, and slept until it was time to watch Jeopardy - so TV viewing included feeding her while trying to feed myself some pizza.

She is 7.5 lb snuggly baby born Tuesday, and so far all has gone well. We are praying constantly (not just because we are told to do that, but...) because Sugar Cookie had cocaine in her system - so much so that the test does not register any higher, so no on can tell to what extent she truly was exposed. Apparently she did experience some symptoms of withdrawl in the hospital, but she checked out healthy otherwise. We were instructed to look for symptoms, but since she arrived, we haven't seen any. She can get fussy - but once she is held, changed, or fed (the trifecta of baby-dom) she seems to be quite peaceful and content again. She slept off and on last night like any other baby we've had. If no one had told us about the drug exposure, we would not have suspected a thing was wrong. Praise God for that! Given her other family circumstances (which I will hold off on writing about for a while to come, if ever - it is that severe), she truly is a Christmas miracle baby.

Michael got up at 4 am with Sugar Cookie so I could get a couple hours of solid sleep before work today. I appreciated that more than I can express - so does my head and the rest of my body. When I left for work, she was asleep on the sofa next to Michael (who was busy working away on catching up on email on the laptop). He was able to take a quick shower before I left for work, and I should be cut loose here about 1:00 or so.

The closing on the house was a very smooth and pleasant expereince. We knew the sellers already, and we had fun chatting. They left us their BBQ grill, the barstools, and all the curtains, blinds, and other window treatments. They have good taste, so all will remain as is for a while I suspect. The power will be on come Tuesday, but we will take car loads of clothes and books over during the weekend. We will not have movers until the first week in January because of the holidays, but that will work well too. Now that we have the baby, the move needs to be slower and less frantic anyway. We have our apartment until the end of January, so the timing really is perfect and there is absolutely no rush. The sellers left the house spotless, and I am so grateful that my pre-move cleaning will be merely wiping down surfaces and steam-cleaning the carpets. That is a huge blessing as well.

So, in one fine day - December 22nd, 2005, we became first-time homeowners and foster parents to a brand-new baby girl. I can't think of nicer gifts to get this Christmas.