baby development

Friday, June 09, 2006

So I Don't Forget Dates...

This week (of June 4th) we have seen an explosion in the amount of babbling Cookie is doing. It seems there are times she does it nonstop - and loudly! Her favorite noise is an exclamatory "aaaaaaAAAAHHHhhhhhh" that is high pitched and excited. She has the "Ga" sound down, and some other sounds I really can't assign actual letters to.

She's now actively rolling from back to front and front to back - and with great speed as well. She also will roll INTO objects pretty quickly and bump her head, so we are now finding out things we have to move- or move her away from.

She can now transfer an object from one hand to the other - this happened within the last couple of weeks, though I must say I wasn't looking specifically for this - just kind of when "well, I'll be darned".

She can't sit up unaided yet, but certainly attepts to.

This week she mastered holding her own bottle. Michael said he walked into daycare to pick her up and there she was lying on the floor supported by her Boppy pillow just two-fisting her bottle and chugging away. I wouldn't have believed him had I not seen it with my own eyes:

Yes, our Cookie is getting bigger each day. Here she is lounging with her Gramma and getting to know her better.

I'm really glad they have had this time to bond. Hopefully Cookie will get to know her so the nest time they see each other it isn't like seeing a stranger.

Gramma is quite skilled, and can change Cookie's diaper while holding her across her lap while sitting on the sofa! I'm not that skilled yet, and would worry about getting peed on (or my sofa getting peed on).

Our mother-daughter pictures came in - and Michael is working on scanning them in so I can post them. I think they turned out really cute.

Cookie is trying really hard to crawl, but just manages to get up on her hands and toes, and rock back and forth in the air before collapsing. It furstrates her, yet at the same time seems to amuse her very much. She also does this so much that sometimes she ends up spitting up on the carpet - which is always lovely. The last time she did that, she had just eaten carrot, so the spit-up was a nice shade of orange. After she spit up, she hovered over the small orange pool of slime and kind of admired it while I went to get a paper towel. I didn't want to laugh, but she was just hovering over it and studying it like a lesson in abstract art.

No update on the teething - still no tooth buds, but Cookie is still actively chewing on everything she can get into her mouth, including my fingers and hair (which I cut off this week) (my hair, not my fingers). She's gotten a little better at night. Gramma said she seemed to her like she was fighting sleep, so we are bathing her more often at night now, and Michael is taking her upstairs and lying down with her until she falls asleep. It's a nice ritual, and one that doesn't revolve around a bottle either.

She still isn't sleeping through the night, but after my research on babies who are drug exposed as much as she was, sleep disturbances seem to be minor compared to the list of things that could have gone wrong. I'll take a little lost sleep. She's really only waking up once or twice a night now, so we really can't complain much about that.

Megan and I packed up all her 3-6 month gear, and she is wearing only 6-9 month clothes. Today, Gramma wanted to dress her in a cute little shorts outfit she had bought that was a 12 month old outfit. Much to our surprise, it wasn't too loose. Yikes, we could have a big little girl on our hands. This is fine with Michael, who dreams of her becoming a power forward.

If I think of more things I really need to remember, I shall be quick to return and post.

No news on a court date for TPR yet. I am starting to think this could take a very long time. Please say it isn't so - patience is not my forte.