baby development

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Back on the Wagon

Two weeks ago, I got my 20 pound star at Weight Watchers (meaning: that's how many pounds I had lost). Then, life hit hard with the adoption and celebrating, my big fat ugly sinus infection, Cookie's latest ear infection, and my post-adoption/March Madness blues. I've been eating more than usual, not "counting my points", and just not caring much about the end result. I haven't even been to a meeting in two weeks.

That all ends tonight - I'm going to the WW meeting and facing the music. Hey - I couldn't have gained all 20 pounds back in 2 weeks! Besides, I've come too far on this journey to give up. I've also continued to try to carry out the other 2 resolutions I made at the beginning of the year - I look better when I come to work, and I've been getting rid of clutter and excess "stuff" in my home.

Even tonight after the meeting, someone is coming by the house to get a box of Cookie's clothes I sold for $15. Hey - that's a partial payment for swimming classes this summer! And it gives the kid more space in her room to run around and not trip over boxes of stuff. Two days ago, I gave away an enormous comforter-sized bag of assorted kid stuff - from infant to toddler sizes. I guess I had been saving things "just in case" we got another child. But we're definately going to wait a while, and we've decided to part with her clothes and buy new ones in the event another child comes along. We can't put our names on the list for a newborn until at least June 5th when Michael is out for the summer and could take care of the baby while I work. We really would have a tough time otherwise with no daycare that could take the child until its about 2 months old anyway.

I'm looking forward to eating better again. I always feel better when I'm on track. And...the thing that perhaps set me off most (and, contrary to logic, sent me in the wrong direction) was that my mom was diagnosed with adult onset diabetes. It is particularly bad, and she's doing testing now to establish a baseline and trying to control it with diet as much as possible to limit the medication she will have to take. She also had a bad EKG, and will have to undergo further testing as well. Add to that...she just got back from testing and is now 2 years cancer free after having survived breast cancer, a lumpectomy, and massive radiation treatments.

And, she's not the image you might see of a woman with these problems. She's only 59. She's petite, only slightly overweight, doesn't drink or smoke, and leads a life with what I would consider to have moderate levels of stress - though in the past 5 years, it's been a doozy. My gradmother (her mother) died about 5 years ago, and things with mom just went from bad to worse. I think Cookie is the best thing that could have happened to her - I just wish they were closer so she could see her.

I know I need to do all I can to make sure that I at least lessen my chances of developing diabetes. Getting back on the wagon is the first step, really. The next is that I've got to lessen my sugar intake. See, I'm pretty bad about using my points on things that as high in sugar (in addition to the fruits and veggies and lean meats). I'm brilliant at staying exactly on the program and loosing weight and still eating chocolate and sherbet and a few cookies each day. That's really got to stop if I am to be as healthy for my Cookie as I can be.

I don't want to loose my mom at an early age. We've had our problems, but more than I need her, I think my dad does. I really hope she's got good doctors.

They are coming up the weekend of April 15th for Cookie's baptism. I think she'll be delighted to see them again.