baby development

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Dedication-Christening-Baptism

We have picked a date for Cookie's baby dedication at church - April 15th. Since we are members of a Methodist congregation, she'll be baptized by spinkling her head with water. It will be very special, and my folks are going to drive all the way up from Florida for the occasion. Afterwards, we'll have cake and punch and food in the church social hall so that friends can meet my folks and congratulate Mia who will be far more interested in the cake.




So, of course you want to see the dress, right? I hope the store doesn't mind my sharing their image, but I figure it's good publicity too - and they were extremely nice over the phone. Here's what she will be wearing:

It's from littlegirldresses.com.

As for what she will wear on Friday, I've got at least 20 dresses to choose from - all sent from the grandparents, of course. The choice will likely come down to what the weather is like, and if that dress stays free of crackers and juice long enough to not need to change into yet another dress (which we will bring, just in case).

Ah, Friday...why do you have to take so long to get here? These have been the longest days of my life!

I am so happy, yet nervous for some reason. I think it's like getting married was. Choosing a child to become yours forever must be in some way different from finding out you are pregnant and then bringing that child into the world. This volition, this agency and free will...somehow feels different (I assume). This has much more meaning than I ever imagined, and it is very different than I expected it to be - much deeper, much more...soulfull and intimate.

There's a comfort with she and us that is deeply satisfying. I see her asleep in our bed between us as we watch our evening news, and think about the ease of which we go through the nightly routine. As we enact family over and over as we have these past 14 plus months, I am reminded that the more we enact, the more we become. I've wondered if on some embodied level of knowing, that Cookie knows - that she knows we made a choice, and that she knows already that she is adopted. As she giggles and tries to climb our headboard, then sinks down into the pillows and covers at night, breathes deeply and sighs contentedly and falls asleep, I feel that she knows she belongs.

That moment of peace at the end of every day has been worth all of the struggles.