baby development

Friday, February 09, 2007

A Morning Without Daddy

Well, I was only half an hour late for work this morning - not bad for not getting up any earlier than normal and getting myself and my child ready for the day. I might have been on time had it not been for poop that happened right before we were going to head out the door. Mercy. I'd rather have had them take care of that one at daycare - especially since it was so...colorful.

Cookie was great for me last night - crashed out on the sofa at 7:30, and went to sleep without a bath and slept until 5:30 this morning when she was thirsty and VERY wet. Then she slept until I got out of the tub this morning (too chicken to shower - was afraid she would wake up and be scared to find herself alone) and got dressed and woke her up getting her diaper changed and socks on.

She then sat straight up in the bed, looked over at Michael's empty side of the bed, and sadly cooed, "Daa-doo, da-doo!!" "Daaaaa-DOOOO!!" She then looked at me again waiting for a good explanation. "Da-doo's at work sweetie, he'll be back soon." (I figured "Washington, D.C." wouldn't sound right, and technically this is work, right?)

["Da-doo" is her latest name for Michael. She can't seem to pronounce Daddy, so it shifted from Da-Da to Da-doo recently, and it sounds mighty funny, and mighty sweet.]

I have a headache. I tried so hard last night to get everything set and perfect for this morning so we would not have a chaotic morning, and I think I tried too hard to do a ton of laundry and put everything away and get things laid out that I forgot to relax. Dang. I really appreciate all Michael does as a dad, and how much of the burden of he lifts from me. He's truly amazing. Cookie and I feel it when he's not here.