baby development

Thursday, February 01, 2007

WIll You Cry Too?

This morning, at 9:30 am, Michael and Cookie and I went to meet our attorney to review and sign the Petition for Adoption. It was one of those otherwise forgetable mornings...

It was cold and the snow was lightly falling.

All we did was sign our names to a document that our attorney will file with the court that will set everything into action. A guardian ad litem will be appointed and another report filed, and eventually a court date will be set. That's it. It seems so easy and simple now - almost elegant.

And in the Petition for Adoption, I read these words:

"Mia Elizabeth Ourlastname will henceforth be the legal child of Tamara Ourlastname and Michael Ourlastname as if she was born of their bodies."

I did not cry right then, but I did later...when I called my mom to tell her about the one of the most beautiful statements I have ever read...and she cried too.

Cookie sat at the huge wooden table with the glass top with a pen in her chubby little hand making "scribbling" motions on the tabletop as if she too were signing documents. I'm glad she was there with us. It was a very special family moment - even if it only took 15 minutes.