baby development

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Job Ish

Oh dear.
Last night, Michael got an offer from Pretigious Near DC University.
10K more than he makes now - and they'd promote and tenure him no questions asked
They think they can work out promising opportunities for me to get a job there, too.
Thye want to see my vita.
Big obvious downside = it's right outside DC and cost of living is about 55% higher than it is here
For example - we paid less than 150K for our 3 br 2.5 ba 1830 sq ft quite decent house here
Equivalent house there would be about 500K, and maybe not as nice either
I did not type that incorrectly.
You did not read it incorrectly either.
It says HALF A MILLION.
And do I even need to mention traffic, or crime rates?

I'm scared to death, and need to put that somewhere so I can get rid of it and be supportive.
I've always loved moving, and never feared it at all.
But that was before marriage.
And before I had a child.
And before I owned a home.

Now it all seems like it has more weight, more risk, more danger lurking around unseen corners.
Now it seems real and grown-up and scary.

I've scuba dived.
I've camped out on the beach in a hammock in small villages in Mexico.
I've loved big-time.
I became a parent.
But I can't remember feeling this frightened before.

That's not a BAD thing, necessarily - the fear, that is.
It just means I'm processing a lot of things.

I feel no need to leave Lexington, but I feel a great need to support my husband's career.
I feel the need to do that no matter the sacrifice for me personally.

I wish the offer would have been enough so that it was a "no brainer" to say "yes" to it without hesitation.

There is no way to put a price on tenure.

I am a great big wreck today.
But more importantly, I am without words to tell you how proud I am of Michael.
He may turn down the offer, but they wanted him - and he was their top candidate.
He is amazing.