baby development

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Lifebook Entry: Gotcha Day

Dear Sugar Cookie,

I remember the day you came to live with us. It was December 22nd, 2005. I was at work, and your foster-dad was teaching a winter-interterm class. We were a little sad because it was almost Christmas and all we wanted was a child to spend the holidays with. We had decided not to go visit our parents in Florida or Mississippi just in case. I prayed out loud in the car on the way home from work on December 21st. I prayed that God would send us a child to love. Well, this is what happened:

About noon, my phone at work rang. It was the on-call social worker. She said,

"We have a baby girl at UK Peds who is 2 days old and needs to be placed today. Would you like to take her?"

I panicked. "We are closing on our new house at 3:00 today. We just can't be there right now. But I want to say "yes"."

"What time do you think you'll be done with the closing? I can meet you at your place right afterwards with the baby."

I thought fast. "Um, probably by 4:30 I guess."

"OK, I'll meet you there then."

And that's exactly how it happened. I didn't even call your daddy to check with him first. I knew he would be happy (and nervous too).

So, we both left work and went and bought our new house, then we drove to our apartment where the social worker was already there in the parking lot waiting there with you.

You were bundled up in so many blankets like a baby burrito, and you were fast asleep. I held you in my arms and you felt warm and snuggly and I almost cried. I thanked God over and over again in my head as the social worker told me a little about you.

She told me your mommy had some big problems, and that she wasn't able to care for you. She also told me that your daddy had problems too, so he couldn't care for you either. She said she thought it was possible that you would be with us for a long time.

You were a little sick from some things your birth mommy had taken before you were born, so we did the best we could to make you feel better. When you woke up, you cried and cried and cried. You didn't drink very much formula. We were so worried about you.

We kept you bundled tight, and loved on you and prayed for you.

We called everyone we knew to tell them about you.

We unbundled you to find you were dressed in a little red and white outfit that was way too big for you - but it was cute. It said "Daddy's Little Sweetie".

We took your picture with the camera on our cell phone, because that's all we had at the time. The pictures were very cute, and those are the first ones in your Lifebook.

After all the excitement, we put you in tiny pyjamas and made a little "nest" for you between us in the bed so we could sleep right next to you. Your daddy and I didn't sleep much because we kept waking up to make sure you were still okay.

That day was one of the best days of our lives - we got a new house and a new baby all on the same day!