baby development

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

In order to get Cookie...

...I had to:

get divorced - because my first husband was so irresponsible that I vowed I would never have children (thinking I was "stuck" with a lazy moron for life)

get PCOS - without that, I might have eventually had biological children

work hard to convince my now-husband that we could make our relationship work - he wasn't too sure about it all

go against the wishes of my parents and marry outside my ethnicity - we did not speak for a long time, and they did not attend the wedding

quit my job 1 year before tenure and move to Lexington, KY to be with my new husband - he had just moved there from a faculty position at Ohio U.

come to the decision that having a biological child was not necessary for a happy and full life

take my mother's advice (the mother who had rejected me a year earlier) and inquire about foster care

go through the entire training and certification process

surrender my heart and soul and mind and LIFE anew to God

pray without ceasing

keep taking placements even after the pain of having newborn babies quickly returned to birth families

decide not to visit family for Christmas 2005 on the "off chance" that we might get a call for a placement - had we left town and the call came in, we would have missed it

When I think about the choices we have made, and what I could have missed out on had I let the fear and doubt and second-guessing win, I am speechless. We are so blessed. It is a miracle that got us here.