baby development

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Unrelated Good News

Yesterday I turned down an opportunity to teach again next semester at the community college (the same class and schedule I had this semester - M/W evenings from 6:30-7:45pm).

I expect to be a mom in some capacity again very soon. I don't think it will be months before we get another call with another placement for children who need foster care. I have a feeling it will be before Thanksgiving that we get another placement - and I want the majority of my evenings to be free.

I told the college I could teach a class as long as it was one night a week. They had one section of public speaking available, and I said I would take it as long as I could teach it the way I felt was best - from a public deliberation model focusing on argumentation, reasoning, and logic - less on performative aspects. They said no - that I had to use the "workbook" and the textbook they had selected. I politely declined. I have standards, and some levels of teaching that I will not sink below for anyone or any amount of money. I think they were taken aback. Most adjunct faculty scrape and claw for an opportunity to pick up another class or two. Me, I just consider the one class I do teach there in addition to my full-time job here at UK to be my "community service".

But a part of me knew the money (though it is a pitance) would be missed in our household. Still, I knew saying "no thank you" was a way of remaining true to what I knew to be true about the most effective way to teach the course (and what I know from experiecen to be one of the worst ways as well).

This morning I learned that the coordinator of part-time faculty here at UK was offering me a chance to teach HERE - a section of Persuasion one night a week next semester (starting in January). Well, I about fell out of my chair. Me - teaching at the University of Kentucky. How cool is that! What an honor that will be. And I will be teaching majors - in the communication department. Woooo hooooo. And it will only be 1 night a week that I would have to be away from home. And I've never taught the class before, so it will be an all-new preo which will be good for taking my mind off not having kids yet.

I'm sure this is God's way of assuring I stay sane. Thanks, God, for knowing what I needed and sending it my way.