baby development

Monday, August 15, 2005

Baby Names

I figured that Baby MIA might like to know what his/her mommy and daddy went through in picking out a name.

Last night, Michael and I sat out on our balcony and relaxed a while. We watched the sun set over the lake, and the hummingbirds come to the feeder. He was reading a book and I had the laptop and was surfing sites with baby names. It very well may have been the perfect evening.

So far, we have agreed on a small number of names we both like. We want Baby MIA to have a name that would be suitable no matter what he/she chooses to do in life.

Here's what we've come up with so far from what I can remember (in no particular order):
Boys: Andrew, Steven, Christian, Jacob, Joshua (for middle names: David, Daniel, Evan)
Girls: Michele, Carolyn, Charlotte, Catherine, Christine, Deborah, Rebekah (for middle names: Ruth, Sarah, Ileana - especially if Baby MIA is of Hispanic ancestry).

Of course, there is always the possibility that Baby MIA will have a beautiful name we both like. But those chances are low considering we went through lists of the "most popular" baby names of 2003, 2004, and of 2005 - and we rejected most of them. The conversation was fun, and it was interesting to hear some of the things Michael liked and didn't like, and why. I learned a lot last night - especially how hard it is to come up with a good name. I guess I should thanks my parents, because "Tamara Sue" really isn't that bad. *grin*

Oh, and the funniest moment was where I was reading to him from a list of the most popular African-American baby name - and Laquinta was on the list. He laughed, and said "Tell me someone did not name their kid LaQuinta". We then decided the other kids would have to be named Sheraton, Ramada, Clarion, Mariott, and Hyatt.